Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Anything But Cute-October Challenge #18-An Autumn Day

Welcome, crafty friends and visitors! Well, it's here! My favorite time of the year! I love fall for it's cooler weather, lower humidity (when's that going to happen?), the beautiful colors painted in nature, soup, sweaters and of course--Halloween! Our new challenge at Anything But Cute  starts today, and our lovely and extremely talented Autumn has chosen for her theme 'An Autumn Day'.  I'll give you the details on the challenge, but first I'd like to share my Autumn Day wall hanging with you. 


Autumn says "I could not help but choose October as my month to hostess here at Anything But Cute. This month, we want to see your creations inspired by An Autumn Day. Anything goes mixed media with a fall color palette, or Autumnal elements. Be inspired by nature with the sights, smells, and sounds of this beautiful season. We cannot wait to see the amazing artwork you turn out!"




I must warn you, this is a photo heavy post. I'll be sharing my step by step instructions for the metallic panel below.

I used lots of mixed media techniques on my panels and foliage, but I had a little old fashioned coloring fun on this, too!  The bottom "wooden" panel that serves as my frame was made using the technique I used here, except my colors used this time were DecoArt Burnt Umber followed by Titan Buff Media paints. I also did some random stamping with a Prima crackle stamp in areas where the Crackle Medium didn't do it's magic. I laid the crackle medium on real thick in some areas because I was going for a chipped paint look.


I did the crackle technique on the Tim Holtz Ideaology Alpha Parts, too. The rust colored leaves were done using a Perfect Pearls technique I demonstrated in my tutorial 'Playing With Perfect Pearls' at Anything But Cute. I simply added some stamping using a variety of foliage stamps from my stash, and on some leaves I've added Ranger Crazing Medium.





The pumpkin and vines are from an unnamed stamp set I've had in my stash. I love this set, and I'm surprised I haven't used it before (that I remember). I colored the pumpkin with Distress inks and markers and Twinkling H2O's, and I gave it a coat of Crazing here and there to give it some depth. Distress inks, markers and more Crazing on the vine panel. I love this vintage look!



If you recognize these stamps, please let me know the name and maker.

Although this is not a good shot, it gives a hint of the glimmer on the pumpkin from the Twinkling H2O's (frost perhaps?). You might be able to spot more of that "frost" on the die cut skeleton leaves --I sprayed them with Perfect Pearl spray before crinkling them up. This not only gives them some glimmer, it helps them hold their shape.


The embossed panel started as a manila file folder covered with contractor's foil tape. I've made a few of these, and you can see variations on this technique here and here. I will list variations within the tutorial. I hope this makes sense, but if you have any questions, please leave them in a comment below, and I will respond to them.


1. Use contractor's foil tape to cover manila folder cut to desired size. Burnish for good adhesion, especially over seams. ('Scuse me, Blogger: I'm trying to get this to the left margin!)

2. Emboss with Darice's Cracked embossing folder. ( I used Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves folder on Vintage Rustic Autumn Card and his Keyboard folder on One Lucky Day.)

3. Give panel a coat of black gesso and let dry.

4. Apply a coat of DecoArt Matte Medium and let dry. (On the other two panels I actually mixed the paints with the matte medium and applied them. For Vintage Rustic Autumn Card, I used Distress paints mixed with the medium and for One Lucky Day, I used Twinkling H2O's and Prima Alchemy paint mixed with the medium.)

5. Brush on various colors of Twinkling H2O's.

6. BEFORE THE PAINT LAYER DRIES completely, lay a clean paper towel over the partially dried paint and press down to absorb the wetter areas, and pull off quickly.

7. Wipe with a damp baby wipe to remove additional paint where desired.

8. Splatter with various colors of Twinkling H2O's. (I omitted with step in my other two project panels.)

9. Paint over entire panel with orange Twinkling H2O's. Heat dry. The color pools in certain areas and is resisted in others.

10. Edge panel with Versamark ink and apply Burnt Copper Leaves Embossing Powder. Heat 'til bubbly. (On Vintage Rustic Autumn Card I used Stampendous Frantage Antique Copper and on One Lucky Day,  I used brown Embossing Puffs.)

This is a very rewarding technique and you can get many looks just mixing up the paint colors and brands.

My product list is extremely long, so if you have questions about a specific die cut, paints, mediums or anything else, please let me know. I cannot tell you the names of my stamps-- I believe these were all purchased at yard sales and makers were not provided.

I hope you will be inspired to join us with your fall projects at Anything But Cute--you have an entire month. Please be sure to check out what each of my teamies has created for you! They really rocked this theme!








I am sharing my Autumn Day panel with the following challenges:
-A Vintage Journey - September Challenge - Create Within a Frame!
-Fashionable Stamping Challenges #115-Autumnal Colors My pumpkin, the vine panel behind it, and some of my leaves were stamped.
-Penny Black and More-October Challenge-Autumn
-Stamping Sensations October Challenge-Autumn
-Die Cut Divas-October is the Time to Emboss-I embossed with a Darice folder and heat embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves powder. Dies used are Bigz and Thinlits Tattered Leaves and Prima Leaves.
-Dies-R-Us Challenge #58-The Leaves on the Trees-Ok; mine are OFF the trees! Dies used listed above.
-Frilly and Funkie-Author, Author Henry David Thoreau-"Walden" I read this book as a child, and was greatly influenced by his life in the woods. As a kid, I would hike through our woods on our property and pretend that I was him, living off the land! Ha! Ha! I still have that sense of wonder when it comes to nature, and I love to study it's patterns. I like to think it has helped me to be a more observant individual. Great theme, Suzz!
-Scrapy Land Challenge #51-Anything Goes using a die that Scrapy Land sells I used a Prima die and two Sizzix dies for the leaves.
-Double "D" Challenges 'Pumpkin Time' Thank you for the invitation to join, Darlene!

Thank you for stopping by today and for leaving me your sweet comments! I read each one and appreciate them all!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

UPDATE: Yippee!



32 comments:

  1. Very pretty make Sara Emily!
    Sorry for not visiting lately, just not much time for blog browsing...
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love the colored pumpkin! That stamp is amazing and you'll just have to use it more! Then there's that crackled background that is so remnant of an old front porch on an old forgotten homeplace... So nostalgic and textural! And that metal panel - though I'm not one that can read all the directions and absorb I do wish I could try this! Thanks for all the links, I will check out each one. I love your creative mind and am honored by your beautiful project for this theme. Thank you and happy fall to you! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much lovely texture and colours on your beautiful Autumnal creation, many thanks for joining us at Penny Black and More, Stamping Sensations and Fashionable Stamping challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This creation is OMG GORGEOUS Autumn! You have such a beautiful, unique style ... love it!!! Thanks for all the detail and inspiration! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘The Leaves on the Trees’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.
    P.S. Your awesome creation also fits the new PUMPKIN challenge going on starting today at the DOUBLE D Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Sara, you did it again! This is definitely my new favourite of yours! Ooooh, what a fantastic crackle effect, as always, but this time it turned out the best I've seen! What can I say about the metal panel, it's simply brilliantly done! Your technique instructions are so detailed and easy to follow! Thanks so much for that, my friend! Your colored pumpkin is so yummy and your leaves look so real! You did a spectacular job and I am completely impressed! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the autumnal glow - those layered leaves look just amazing - a fabulous fall creation.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sara Emily!! This is absolutely gorgeous! Your leaves like real, they are just beautiful! I love all the details and everything about your gorgeous creation! I would buy that for my house in a minute! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stunningly textured metal background, glorious autumn leaves and a fabulous pumpkin - all perfect for creating a gorgeous autumn project, it is one of those pieces I want to reach out and touch it and also 'see' it in all its glory. I loved reading how you brought it together, so many wonderful products too. Can you tell how much I love this?! Beautiful work Sara. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so glad you came to share this amazing creation with us at Double D! I so appreciate all your tips & tricks and I just can't stop looking at this creation ... I find some hidden treasure with every peek! Awesome job!
    Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘PUMPKINS’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful layering and colours Sara - oh so very pretty - love it to bits! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful! You have included all the elements of a warm Autumn walk! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzers! So many wonderful techniques are blended so perfectly well here. That wooden background is absolutely gorgeous! I thought it was wood. Stunningly realistic Sara! Your leaves and the skeleton leaves are so textural and layered. Fantabulous colors abound all over this design. I have no idea where/who made that stamp set but I can see why you enjoy it so much, especially during this time of year. Your coloring of the pumpkin is exquisite! It looks 3D! Wowzers Wowzers and Wowzers! Sara drops the mic and walks away. Boom! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK...I only hav ea second, but Wow...this is glorious. And I just had to tell you that I thought your stamped pumpkin was chipboard ephemera. So many wonderful layers and so skillfully executed, my friend. Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful explosion of fall leaves and fall color Sara Emily! The crackle on your frame is stunning! Thanks so much for joining in on the AVJ challenge - Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So lovely is your beautiful fall creation with the layered leaves! Thanks so much for joining us at Dies R Us this month for the "Leaves in the Trees" Challenge! Please come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely project. Such stunning colors and design.

    So glad you were able to join us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is fabulous! I love it all, can't even say what's my favorite! Your textures and colors are to die for, especially since this is also my favorite time of the year! Amazing, Sara Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant stamping and colouring! An absolutely beautiful Autumn design! Thanks for sharing it with us at Stamping Sensations.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous mixed Media project. I love looking at all the fabulous details. Thanks so much for joining us at Double D Challenge Blog. We hope to see more of your creations.
    Kathy
    DD DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW...this is fabulous with all your beautiful details! Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my wow!! This is spectacular!! The leaves look like you plucked them from your yard and added them!! I love the crackle and the texture and the colors!! It truly represents an autumn day!! The pumpkin looks amazing - what a perfect focal point!! This is amazing my friend!! I absolutely love it!! Thank you so much for playing along at Scrapy Land!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh WOW simply gorgeous colours and textures, thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sara, oh my, this is just gorgeous! I will make sure I pop back to get the down low on the tutorial but I had to leave a comment because I love every little detail on it - just awesome art huni xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning !
    Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland Challenge blog and Good Luck !
    Maryvonne - DT member

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely gorgeous project Sara Emily! I love that your childhood memories and reads have inspired it's creation. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow wow wow!!! Sara this is just incredible!! Not sure what company those stamps are, but I am loving how you coloured them! The pumpkin is amazing with the touch of shimmer on it! Great tip about the pearl spray helping to keep the leaves hold their shape! The 3d autumn sentiment is just brilliant and there is so many different textures here, wow I want to touch it!! Beautiful autumn colours and the crackle effect is just amazing!! You have really created a project with all the beauty and spirit of the autumn season! Thank you for wowing me again this month with your creativity!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous, a wealth of gorgeous colours and textures

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning and so beautiful in every way. Lovely colours and design detail. Thanks for sharing with us at Double "D" Challenge.
    Amelia (Double "D" Challenge Design Team)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love this, Sara Emily! I can almost hear those leaves crackling under my feet! Gorgeous texture, layers and details! Thanks for joining the fun at the Frilly and Funkie "Author,Author" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! So full of texture, detail and wose rich warmth with all those rich autumnal colours . Yum!
    Congrats too on your latest accolades
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful beautiful - love the wooden panel texture and all the yummy texture on the leaves. My favorite colors, favorite season - so your project is total eye candy to me Sara. YUM YUM YUMMY! j.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow all the elements of this wall hanging work so well together, I love it. Thank you for joining the Time to Emboss challenge over at Diecut Divas. Cathie DT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.