Tuesday, February 9, 2016

With Love Watercolor

Hello crafty people!  I decided to make a more traditional Valentine's Day card for my sister and brother in law.  There's nothing like a little clean out of your supplies to get the creative juices flowing!  


This smallish card started out as a store bought invitation, which I probably bought at a yardsale for the envelopes.  I figured I might as well use the actual card, too, so I started by cutting some card stock and papers to size, distressing them with my scissors and gluing them onto the existing invitation, which I gave a quick coat of gesso and Worn Lipstick Distress paint on the edges.

I splattered on some watered down watercolor crayon at this point and let it dry while I worked on my top layer.  Once dry, I swiped on some Ranger Multi Matte Medium and sprinkled with Martha Stewart Iridescent tinsel glitter (This was one source of inspiration I unearthered and had forgotten in my Closet stash. This will be my first time using this product.)


I was inspired by Suzz of Suzz's Stamping Spot with her watercolor hearts, so I went digging through my watercolor supplies and found these unused watercolor crayons. If you visit her blog to see her beautiful cards, you will see the inspiration is pretty clear. At first I tried watercolor pencils, but I didn't get the super watery look I was going for. I  cannot wait to get my hands on Tim's new Distress crayons, and have some on pre-order at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

For the focal panel, I started with heavy weight watercolor paper, stamped a Stampin' Up Script image with Watering Can Archival ink, and edged the card with watercolor crayon. I spritzed with Pink Gumball Perfect Pearl Spray Mist and then water and swirled that around to get some drips and puddles of color.  Once dry, I placed the negative from Tim's Heartfelt Bigz die over and traced around the inside of three of the hearts, and again spritzed with water.  I dried this with a heat gun to push the color around a little and when fully dry, went back in with the stencil I had made and added more crayon, blending some with a water brush.

Next I did some embossing inspired by Nancy's (of My Tattered Treasures) method of embossing. Be sure to visit her blog, where no matter what the weather outside you will feel like it's a breezy sunny day!

 When the panel was completely dry, I used  Ranger Transparent Matte Texture Paste and several  different cheapo stencils to emboss some tiny hearts.  While the paste was wet, I sprinkled on micro beads and the tinsel glitter.  Once dry, I went around my embossed hearts with Festive Berries Distress marker and a water pen  to make the tiny hearts pop.




I finished this Valentine with a Tim Holtz Simple Sayings sentiment in Jet Black Archival and splattered on some coordinating watered down watercolor crayon. This is one of those cards that looks much better in real life due to the shimmer and sparkle that is so elusive on camera. I purposefully made my card flat, so I could post it from my home, and hopefully it will arrive in time.



I would like to enter my Valentine into the following inspiring challenges:
-Frilly and Funkie Enjoy Your Embossing My embossing comes in the form of hearts embossed with texture paste.
-Mixed Media Place-Creative Gym # 16-New Beginnings Trying something new with watercolors in the form of crayons, using a few new to me products.

Thank you for stopping by today and for your awesome comments!  I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

19 comments:

  1. this is awesome Sara - love it to pieces and thanks for joining us at CVC this month - have you seen the challenge for Craft stamper - worth a look? Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for a traditional Valentine and I sure love this one! Oh Sara Emily, it couldn't be more lovely! The watercolored hearts just make mine melt! Love the touch of glitter and beads too. I am loving glimmer mist puddles too! Great project, they are certain to love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this is stunning!! I absolutely love the details of this!! The watercolored hearts look amazing!! I love the touch of sparkle!! What a gorgeous card this is!! I love, love it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the water colour look! Great glittery hearts too! Glad you are using your, up to now, useless card! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really like all the watercolour goodness of this card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhh awwwww! This is so pretty in pink and also with a hint of grunge. Wowzers! I sure bet your sis and BIL enjoy this design a heck of a lot better than a store bought thing. The watercolor technique you used is amazeballs and one I have got to try! I see there are 3 posts today, you have been a busy busy little lady! Loves this design! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooooh, Sara, dear, your pink Valentine's watercolor card is so super cool! What a wonderful watercolor technique you used! I absolutely LOVE it! Fantastic work, my friend! Huge hugs to you! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A super cute, traditional valentines day card, I am sure they will love it. Thank you for joining in this months challenge at The Artistic Stamper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely Gorgeous !! I think this is one of my new favorite!! Sarah Emily,your art never ceases to amaze me sweet girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw Niki's comment about three posts today, so now I don't feel so bad that I've missed your posts, lol!! You don't usually get by me that fast! This is gorgeous - love the watercolor technique with the crayons - very effective! Someone will be a lucky recipient! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Sara!! I always have such a great time when I visit your blog. I am head over heels for your gorgeous card with those fabulous watercolor hearts!! I've never seen this technique before and can't wait to get my hands on some of those crayons and try them out. I adore the added sparkle as well. This is the coolest card. Thanks so much for always inspiring me!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful Sara, gorgeous watercolour hearts and love the tiny glittery ones too, thanks so much for sharing your lovely card! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty card. The script background makes it look so romantic. Love how you used the hearts as templates. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful page with a heartwarming sentiment! Thank you again for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really sweet card! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet and beautiful!
    Thanks for joining our challenge at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A totally wonderful way to use those hearts! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is awesome. So pretty ♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.