Sunday, November 30, 2014

Christmas-y Things

Hello, everyone!  I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, and you are ready to get in the Christmas spirit!



This box started out as this non-descript rubbery-acetate-y thing.  I thought I would store craft stuff in this set of three I picked up at a yardsale.  But a trip to Pinterest got me thinking what a beautiful Christmas decor box this could be.  I am also a collector  hoarder of vintage jewelry- broken, whole, damaged--whatever!  It can be used for something.  Here was the perfect opportunity.  So you will find a pair of clip-on earring amongst the mess. Following are 4 photos--one from each side.






My daughter has expressed her love of this creation, and has inquired as to where it is going to end up.  She has been so helpful to me in getting my photos uploaded to my blog, that I am going to fill it with some "horse" money and gift it to her. Enjoy, Lauren!

The box was treated to some alcohol inks, then HEAT embossed with Holographic embossing powder on the inside and white embossing powder on the outside. I also used the Holographic EP on the edges of the lid and the corners of the box on the outside.  Yes!  You can heat emboss plastic if you are patient!  Thank goodness there was an extra lid in the set of three, because I got to test all my techniques on that first.  Of course, the test came out better than the finished product!

I altered two silver Christmas balls with Mod Podge and Epsom salts, and two leaves from my flower stash with Dylusions and Tattered Angels sprays, followed by the Epsom salt treatment.  I am sold on this, and will be selling my jar of Diamond Dust to the highest bidder!  That stuff was tearing up my hands, and I'm sure it's not good for my kitties paws.






The pinkish ball was done with 15 squirts of water from my mister and a couple of Sweet and Low spoonfuls of Perfect Pearls powders (yes, I hoard Sweet and Low spoons in my Embossing Powder drawer--you should try it, they are really handy!) and left to drip dry for days!



Now for a BIG hug to Pamellia for her tutorial on UTEE!  I have never used this stuff before, but after her great easy to follow instructions, I knew I had to break out that 15 year old jar for this project.  I had to add on a few more layers, though, and in addition to the white embossing powder layer, I added a layer of Holographic EP, before finishing up with several more layers of UTEE.  Suffice it to say, these buggers are thick and I have no more fingerprints on my fingers! A couple of cheap silk flowers were harmed in the making of my poinsettia stamen.  Thank you so much, Pamellia for helping me to take a step out of my comfort zone to give UTEE a try, and for your wonderfully easy to follow and informative tutorial! If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to visit the link above.






Apology:  Sorry for all the similar close-ups, but I was trying to get that Holographic powder to show.  I couldn't decide which to eliminate!

A few gold bells treated to alcohol ink to make silver "Jingle" bells , a few pieces of costume jewelry,  and some pearls and pearl stems from my stash finished this sweet little box off. This has got to be my most time consuming project yet with all the layers of UTEE and embossing powder on the poinsettias and the alcohol inks, and such.  But a blast to make and a proud moment for me when it was done:)!








 Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and  for any sweet comments you choose to leave.  I read and try to respond to each and every one!

I would like to enter this in the following inspirational challenges:

Craft Hoarders Anonymous #20 "Box It Up!"

Divas By Design "Jingle Bells"

Inspiration Journal "Happy Holidays!"

Stamplorations "Stamps and Layers"

The Artistic Stamper Creative Team "Christmas Is Coming!"

The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side #3 "Christmas Decorations"

Products used:  Stamps by Autumn Leaves Fourishes v.2,  Versamark embossing ink, white and Holographic embossing powders,  Ranger alcohol inks, Perfect Pearls powder, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, Dylusions Ink Spray, Tim Holtz' poinsettia die, clear UTEE, Mod Podge, Epsom salts, and junk from my crafty hoard.


31 comments:

  1. Gorgeous box! Love all the elements you added to your box, just elegant! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, signed in under the wrong name! Thank you, Donna! What a wonderful compliment!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely box and so much detail. Thanks for joining the challenge at The Mirror Crack'd, Angela R. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I'm with you on collecting vintage jewelry. ;-) Thanks for sharing with us at Inspiration Journal. Check back soon for our Dec. challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! I hope you are using your vintage jewelry!

      Delete
  4. Your box is so creative and so many wonderful elements! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a gorgeous creation! I am intrigued by the Epsom Salt technique, it certainly looks beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Journal! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! It's very simple. Paint on adhesive, sprinkle with Epsom salts. Dry. Admire!

      Delete
  6. Oh boy Sara, another killer project!! I'm with Anne, the Epsom salt technique is amazing, I just love the look of that! The entire box is so elegant, what a treasure! Thank you so much for mentioning me, you are a sweetheart! I have to say though, that you took my technique to a whole new level, that poinsettia is drop dead gorgeous! I love the iridescent layer, gonna be giving that a go next time out! I'm just so glad I could inspire you, and I had to giggle at the '15 year old UTEE'...hilarious! Until your next amazing project, big hugs my talented friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamellia, you are so generous with your praise! I REALLY appreciate your tutorial. I have 3 bottles of that stuff I need to get through! I'm happy you liked my poinsettia! I have to say, it wasn't the first one or the second...I think I got a little carried away! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. stunning and such pretty details!!!! thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GASP! Thud! I am awestruck! I just....wow. No words. That is one amazing and awesome box. I am....blown away! Thanks so much for playing along with the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny, Gloria! Thank you! You have somehow managed to make me smile after a very rough day/week!

      Delete
  9. This is just off the charts gorgeous! That poinsettia...I want to hold it in my hands...it is sooooooooo gorgeous! Sara, my dear, you have such a gift...and I love to hoard yard sale jewelry, too!
    Hugs, hugs, hugs!
    Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm always so happy to read your sweet comments! It's fun to hoard the jewelry, but I always get such a kick when I find a way to incorporate it into a project. Kind of justifies the hoarding:). A great big hug back to you! Sure wish we lived closer!

      Delete
  10. wow!!!! gorgeous box....love the details.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Divas by Design.
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is a beautiful box! I love it! Love the transparency and all those gorgeous embellishments. Thank you very much for sharing it with us at Divas by Design this week. Hugs, Justyna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a stunning project!! really love your box:0)
    thanks for joining the mixed media challenge at TMC!
    grtz Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolanda, Thank you for your kind words! I'm happy you like my box!

      Delete
  13. Emily, Thank you for your wonderful card/tag class at Every Good Thing Artisan Gallery. I am over the moon about what you taught us. Also thank you for treating us to your beautiful box. You are very talented and great at what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, You are going to confuse everyone here and I'll have to go 'splain' about my name:). Your are quite welcome! It was certainly my pleasure to share with you! I will be e-mailing you...been a teensy bit busy!

      Delete
  14. Geesh, Sara, (or is it Emily?!??!) so many lovely projects. On this one you had me at heat embossing on acetate. I've had catastrophic results. I bet it depends on a lot of factors. Then those ornaments. Then the poinsettia. So much eye candy. No wonder it's already been claimed. (or is it Emily?!??!) (or is it Emily?!??!) Thanks for gracing the STAMPlorations gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My word, Maria, you made me laugh and laugh! It's either one, actually--my name is Sara Emily and I go by Sara to some and Emily to others...Very confusing to say the least. Long story:). SaraEmilysCloset just doesn't roll off the tongue! My husband calls me Sara and my Closet--Sara's closet, so it became known as sarascloset. Home away from home:). Anyway, thank you for your extremely generous praise on my entry! Slow on the heat; this takes ages to emboss. Well worth the trouble. I think Lauren will be very pleased with her gift.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful Christmas project! Thanks for joining in with STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.